The Mojave Max Emergence Contest is Currently Closed
Mojave Max emerged from his burrow on April 5, 2017 at 12:40 pm. The Mojave Max Emergence Contest is currently closed and opens at the beginning of November each year.
What Is the Emergence Contest?
Mojave Max is a real live tortoise that lives at Springs Preserve. Every fall when the hot Las Vegas weather cools off, Max goes into his burrow to begin brumation. (This is how Max hibernates.) In the spring, when the weather begins to warm up, Max emerges. The person who guesses as closely as possible to the correct day, hour, and minute when Max will emerge from his burrow wins!
Who Can Enter the Contest?
Students from Clark County, Nevada, in grades K-6, who are enrolled in public, private, and registered home schools are eligible to win all kinds of great prizes.
What Are the Prizes?
The grand prize winner and his or her entire class will win t-shirts, Mojave Max Olympic-style medals, a pizza party, and field trip to Springs Preserve to see the real Mojave Max! The winner also receives a laptop computer, a digital camera, and an “America the Beautiful” year-long pass to National Parks and Federal Recreation areas. The winner’s teacher will also receive a laptop computer!
What Are the Rules?
- Students from Clark County, Nevada, in grades K-6, who are enrolled in public, private, and registered home schools of the Clark County School District (CCSD) are eligible to enter the contest.
- The student whose guess is closest to the day, hour, and minute that Mojave Max first emerges from his burrow in the spring is the winner of the contest.
- Guesses may be entered up until the time that Mojave Max first emerges from his burrow in the spring.
- Students may enter the Mojave Max Emergence Contest only once per year. Multiple entries will be disqualified. In the case of multiple entries, only the entry with the earliest time stamp will be accepted.
- In the event of a tie, the student whose entry has the earlier time stamp will be declared the winner. In the event of a tie, if two or more entries have identical time stamps, the names will be placed into a hat and the winner will be chosen by a drawing.
- The official time of Mojave Max’s emergence is determined by the time stamp on the trail camera placed at Mojave Max’s burrow entrance when Mojave Max is first emerges from his burrow in the spring.
- Teachers may enter guesses on behalf of all of their students.
- Students must have the permission of their teacher(s) and parent(s) or guardian(s) to enter the contest.
- Both students and teachers must enter the emergence contest on-line at www.mojavemax.com in order to be eligible for emergence contest prizes.
- The Emergence Contest entry form must be completely filled out. Incomplete entries will be disqualified.
- Mojave Max contest representatives must be able to contact the student’s school in order for a student to be eligible to be recognized as having the winning entry for the Mojave Max contest. In the event the first place winner is not eligible, the first runner up will be chosen.The recognized winner will be notified through their school, principal, and/or teacher.
When has Max emerged in the past?
Resources for students and teachers
Mojave Max believes in enjoying his desert home and he wants everyone to learn how to keep it safe, how to Respect it, Protect it, and Enjoy it. To do that, he and his friends have collected many fun resources that will help you get started exploring his world.